There many lists claiming to be lists of the best kids books. Lists of hundreds — if not thousands— of kids’ books that are carefully curated for their “literary merit.” I’m not a literature expert, just a children’s book author – but most of all a mom – who loves reading, with a house full of readers.
I don’t know about you, but when I read those long lists I find myself asking, “Yeah, but are the books really any fun to read?” Because when it comes to reading for kids, that’s what I’m most concerned about, fun. When a kid likes to read — loves to read — because it’s fun, the rest will follow.
And that’s why the books on these best kids book lists are what my kids consider the best books. The ones they’ve read over and over, remember fondly, and the ones who were a great distraction — a friend — in times of need. And that’s why there aren’t “neat numbers.” I didn’t add books just to get to 10 or 20 in a list.
Below are the lists I’ll be covering in this post series. Links will go live after the posts go live, and you’ll be able to use this as a reference list to navigate your way around.
- Best Books for 1st Grade – my son’s favorite books, books for boys
- Best Books for 1st Grade, My Girls’ favorite books, books for girls
- Best Books Books for 2nd Grade, my son’s favorite books, books for boys
- Best books for 2nd Grade – my girls’ favorite books, books for girls
- Best books for 3rd grade – my son’s favorite books, books for boys
- Best books for 3rd grade – My Girls’ 9 Favorite Books
- Best books for 4th grade – My Son’s 7 Favorite Books
- Best books for 4th grade – My Girls’ 11 Favorite Books
- My Son’s 6 Favorite Books in 5th Grade
- My Girls’ 11 Favorite Books in 5th Grade
- My Son’s 9 Favorite Books in Middle School
- My Girls’ 11 Favorite Books in Middle School
- My Son’s 4 Favorite Books in High School