In second grade, readers can really take off. Or not. Don’t be worried if your child hasn’t turned into a reader yet. Just focus on making fun books available. If you don’t read kids’ books for your own entertainment (I do!) you might have trouble coming up with some suggestions for your daughter. But better than my suggestions, are the suggestions of another girl. Here are 9 of the best books for girls, my daughters’ favorite books in second grade, ordered roughly in order from the easiest to read to the more difficult….
Kids doing remote school from home because of the pandemic might have more time for DIY crafts this Valentine’s Day. What could be better than this Valentine Fortune Teller you can play with after you make it? Get the tutorial!
Not long ago my college student daughter asked me to find a good money and budgeting book for her. My other daughter needed some information to relieve anxiety about the idea of investing in the stock market. (My son didn’t ask for a book, but he was the first one to finish one! An audiobook.) Here our favorite audio books about budgeting, money, finance and investing.…
If you don’t live in the South, I’m told that Homecoming mums might be new to you. I wouldn’t know. 🙂 I grew up in the south, so I don’t know any different. In fact, I’ve always thought Homecoming mums were the best part about football!
On the other hand, even when I was in high school, Homecoming mums started getting bigger and bigger, and fancier and heavier. And that was before battery operated lights! And feather boas. Oh, my. And you wouldn’t believe how much those Homecoming mums cost!
You can save a lot of money making your own, and end up with something prettier and unique….
With Season 4 of Netflix’s the Crown, release date November 15, 2020, you might again find yourself wondering, how true is The Crown? What does The Crown get right and wrong? One of the major events covered in Season 4 of The Crown will include the introduction of Emma Corrin as Princess Diana, her early relationship with Prince Charles, and their early marriage. So the biography, Prince Charles, by Sally Bedell Smith is a good place to start to see what The Crown gets right, and what it gets wrong.
The books I write for kids are fantasy, so it’s probably no surprise that we’re big fantasy readers around this house. When my daughter was in middle school she finally discovered the Percy Jackson series and tore through them. (Can you call it “discovered” when her brother has been begging her for years and she only read it because her English teacher put The Lightning Thief on a reading list?)
Some parents would be appalled that English teachers are encouraging kids to read something as commercial as The Lightning Thief. I think it’s great! To me, the main reason for assigning books is to turn kids into readers. The depressing books that most teachers assign discourage kids from reading….
Usually we have to wait years in between Star Wars movies, but Star Wars: The Force Awakens came out last year and Rogue One: A Star Wars Story is coming out this December! (Published Aug 8, 2016)
Trick-or-treat alternatives and Costumes for Halloween 2020
Even if you’re not going to a big Halloween party this year, your kids can have fun dressing up. You might want to put together a costume from things you have around the house, as I did multiple years in a row for this Luke Skywalker Costume. All dressed up and nowhere to go? Consider dressing up as characters from your favorite movie series and have a movie marathon while you eat Halloween Candy! Love Star Wars? We got some things right, but we made a couple of mistakes when showing Star Wars to our kids. See my best order for introducing your kids to Star Wars.
Do you have older girls – teen and pre-teen girls? See our own favorite Rom Coms for mothers and daughters to watch together!
Luke Skywalker Costume Ideas
I love how the Star Wars movies continue to have strong female characters. We’re big Star Wars fans around this house, so we’ll definitely be going to see that.
In fact, our son has been Luke Skywalker for Halloween not one, not two, but THREE times! As you can see, even his sisters had to get in on the Star Wars costumes for Halloween as well. I’m sure that there are going to be a lot of Star Wars costumes at Halloween this fall.
Two of those times my son dressed up like Luke Skywalker from Star Wars: A New Hope, and as you can see, that’s a super easy costume….
This Halloween might be difficult if you have kids who want to go trick-or-treating. Turn things on their head, and take the opportunity to make this Halloween different from all the others! Instead of being disappointing, the Halloween of 2020 and other pandemic Halloweens can really stand out as a special childhood memories.…
I find watching modern movies based on classic literature to be an excellent way to get into reading the books. Rather than seeing the movie as a reward for reading the book, I find it easier to watch the movie first. A really great movie will leave you wanting more, and reading the book is the perfect way to follow up. The movie Vanity Fair from 2004, is based on the book by the same name.…
Here’s a great idea for making your Homecoming mum extra fun and pretty – make your own ribbon braids! You don’t have to learn how to make a ton of different braids. Read on for my quick tips to find out to add a lot of variety and fun to your mum, with only learning how to make one or two ribbon braids for your mum!
My daughters had fun helping me make braids for their very own Homecoming mum. Making them ourselves, we knew they would be unique!
Braiding can take a while, so it’s a great time to watch a fun show or movie together. (Check out my posts about some of our favorite movies, Best Romantic Comedies for mothers and daughters to watch together. Or even have fun watching movies to improve your College Board SAT score. Or even check out my daughters’ favorite movie for us to watch together.
When you start trying to make the braids yourself, it can be a bit tricky at first, even after watching the best video tutorials about how to make Homecoming mum ribbon braids. So I pulled together some tricks and tips we came up with for making ribbon braids for our Homecoming mums.
Beginners tips and tricks for making Homecoming mum braids
- Use acetate ribbon. It’s plastic-y and stiff, but it also doesn’t crease easily. It can also be called “florist” ribbon.
- The length of the finished braid will depend not only on the length of the ribbon pieces, but the width of the ribbon and the tightness of the braid. You can cut off excess length, but once you cut the pieces you can’t make them longer!
- If you use the maximum number of different colors it will make it easier to see what you’re doing as a beginner. For example, use 2 colors for a 2 ribbon bread and 4 different colors for a 4 ribbon bread.
- Even if you only learn one type of braid, you can make it look like you made several different braids by using different colors of ribbon and different widths for the different braids. In the photo above, the checkered ribbon inn the middle is the exact same type of braid as the fat gold braid on the side. it’s just different width ribbon and different colors.)
- After you have practiced with the acetate ribbon, you can use metallic, glittery or edge laced ribbon to add even more bling and variety!
Tips and tricks for beginners for starting ribbon braids for Homecoming Mums
- Instead of starting the braids with just a staple (it’s hard to hold the ribbons in place.) Tape the ribbons together on the back with a flat piece of tape.
- Staple them together, through the tape.
- Then tear the tape away.
- Before you start braiding, use a new piece of tape to hold the ribbons down on a table or other surface, if needed.
Tips and tricks for beginners for ending ribbon braids for Homecoming Mums
- Staple the end.
- Trim the ribbons.
- Then turn the end with the staple under and use a LOW TEMPERATURE hot glue to hold it in place. (That low temperature part? Why do I keep learning it the hard way when I just use the first hot glue gun I find?!)
More Tips and Tutorials to Make your Own Homecoming Football Mum
– for more ideas for types of ribbons, charms, and other homecoming mum decorations that will make your homecoming football mum unique and save you money.
– The best how to make football homecoming mum videos that I found helpful and got ideas from when making my own mums.
– the best tutorials and videos for Homecoming mum braids and ribbon leis that my daughters and I used to learn how to braid ribbon for Homecoming mum streamers.