This Halloween might be difficult if you have kids who want to go trick-or-treating. Turn things on their head, and take the opportunity to make this Halloween different from all the others! Instead of being disappointing, the Halloween of 2020 and other pandemic Halloweens can really stand out as a special childhood memories.…
Here’s a great idea for making your Homecoming mum extra fun and pretty – make your own ribbon braids! You don’t have to learn how to make a ton of different braids. Read on for my quick tips to find out to add a lot of variety and fun to your mum, with only learning how to make one or two ribbon braids for your mum!
My daughters had fun helping me make braids for their very own Homecoming mum. Making them ourselves, we knew they would be unique!
Braiding can take a while, so it’s a great time to watch a fun show or movie together. (Check out my posts about some of our favorite movies, Best Romantic Comedies for mothers and daughters to watch together. Or even have fun watching movies to improve your College Board SAT score. Or even check out my daughters’ favorite movie for us to watch together.
When you start trying to make the braids yourself, it can be a bit tricky at first, even after watching the best video tutorials about how to make Homecoming mum ribbon braids. So I pulled together some tricks and tips we came up with for making ribbon braids for our Homecoming mums.
Beginners tips and tricks for making Homecoming mum braids
- Use acetate ribbon. It’s plastic-y and stiff, but it also doesn’t crease easily. It can also be called “florist” ribbon.
- The length of the finished braid will depend not only on the length of the ribbon pieces, but the width of the ribbon and the tightness of the braid. You can cut off excess length, but once you cut the pieces you can’t make them longer!
- If you use the maximum number of different colors it will make it easier to see what you’re doing as a beginner. For example, use 2 colors for a 2 ribbon bread and 4 different colors for a 4 ribbon bread.
- Even if you only learn one type of braid, you can make it look like you made several different braids by using different colors of ribbon and different widths for the different braids. In the photo above, the checkered ribbon inn the middle is the exact same type of braid as the fat gold braid on the side. it’s just different width ribbon and different colors.)
- After you have practiced with the acetate ribbon, you can use metallic, glittery or edge laced ribbon to add even more bling and variety!
Tips and tricks for beginners for starting ribbon braids for Homecoming Mums
- Instead of starting the braids with just a staple (it’s hard to hold the ribbons in place.) Tape the ribbons together on the back with a flat piece of tape.
- Staple them together, through the tape.
- Then tear the tape away.
- Before you start braiding, use a new piece of tape to hold the ribbons down on a table or other surface, if needed.
Tips and tricks for beginners for ending ribbon braids for Homecoming Mums
- Staple the end.
- Trim the ribbons.
- Then turn the end with the staple under and use a LOW TEMPERATURE hot glue to hold it in place. (That low temperature part? Why do I keep learning it the hard way when I just use the first hot glue gun I find?!)
More Tips and Tutorials to Make your Own Homecoming Football Mum
– for more ideas for types of ribbons, charms, and other homecoming mum decorations that will make your homecoming football mum unique and save you money.
– The best how to make football homecoming mum videos that I found helpful and got ideas from when making my own mums.
– the best tutorials and videos for Homecoming mum braids and ribbon leis that my daughters and I used to learn how to braid ribbon for Homecoming mum streamers.
Looking for ideas to make your Homecoming mum even fancier without it costing a ton? Add your own ribbon braids! I’ve rounded up the BEST ribbon braid tutorials and best tutorial videos so you can make your own ribbon braids for your Homecoming mum. These are the ones my daughters and I learned from when we maid spirit braids to add to the Homecoming mums we made for them. It’s so much fun!
Celebrating your 18th birthday under quarantine is a bummer. But my daughter went the extra mile to make it special for her sister! Here are some birthday decoration and cake ideas to help your birthday girl smile during this difficult time.
Need some favor ideas for a mermaid birthday party? It’s more fun to send the kids home with something they’ll really love. I’ve got 18+ mermaid party favor ideas – some easy DIY you can make and some you can buy – to get you started!…
Making your own Christmas wreath is the only way to get it exactly how you want it! Check out these great ideas for easy DIY wreaths to decorate outdoors and in.
I love a good, happy chick flick! And my teen girls do too! Romantic comedies are our favorite. No tissues and tears for these girls. Teens have enough drama in their life already.
I enjoy the challenge of coming up with the perfect gift for that hard-to-buy-for person on my gift list. To me, the perfect gifts are items you wouldn’t have thought of for yourself, or ones that go beyond the basic we often purchase for ourselves. To my surprise, one of my most viewed Pinterest boards is gifts for tween and teen girls. That’s who I find it the easiest to shop for! I don’t need a gift guide for that myself. So that’s a good time to write one!
Everything else to eat at your Halloween party follows the Halloween theme – don’t wimp out and serve just plain old soda to drink! This a super easy way to dress up your drinks for your Halloween party. Worm juice – Halloween drink for kids…